How to Get Rid of Mice and Rats
Nobody wants to share their homes with rodents, such as mice or rats. Learn how you can spot common signs of an infestation, how to prevent rodents in your home, and how to get rid of them if you suspect an infestation.
Signs of a Rodent Infestation
As a homeowner, it is important to keep an eye out for rodent infestations. Mice and rats are sneaky, so you may not see them running across the floor, but keep an eye out for these signs of infestation:
- Rodent droppings
- Holes in walls or floors
- Nesting material
- A foul, stale smell
- Gnawed or chewed food packaging
Where Do Mice Hide?
Mice love areas that are warm and provide protection against predators. Unfortunately, these areas tend to be out of reach to humans, which is partly why rodents can be difficult to eliminate on your own.
Some of the common areas mice like to hide include:
- Behind large appliances
- In piles of items or clutter
- Kitchen cabinets
- Inside furniture
Why are Rodents Dangerous?
Not only are mice and rats able to deliver painful bites, but they can actually endanger our loved one’s health by being able to transmit over 35 different diseases. Diseases can be spread through direct contact or handling of mice or rodents, feces, bites, urine, and saliva. Rodents can even transmit diseases they have gotten from other animals or insects such as fleas or ticks.
Diseases transmissible by rodents include:
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM)
Rodents can also cause damage to your home and belongings. Their small size allows them to fit through nooks and crannies and reach structural areas of your home. Damage can be inflicted on the structure of your home by rodents chewing through wood and siding or weakening structural areas. Mice and rodents don’t stop at your home’s structure—they also chew through your home's electrical wiring, which may result in fire.
How do Mice Get in Your House?
Rodents do not need a large entrance to find their way into your home. Mice can maneuver themselves through holes only ¼ of an inch big, so it is important to seal up even the smallest openings or holes.
Rodents can enter your home through:
- Holes or cracks in walls.
- Small openings under garage doors.
- Holes in floors.
- Cracks in foundation.
How to Prevent Rodent Infestations
An essential step in preventing rodent infestations includes finding the areas in which rodents can enter your home. A professional team of rat exterminators can help determine possible entry points within your home during their inspection.
Steps to take to prevent rodent infestations include:
- Seal up holes or cracks within your home so rodents cannot use them to enter your home.
- Use weather stripping on exterior doors and windows, including the garage door.
- Use mint to deter rodents by growing it in your yard or using peppermint oil inside your home.
- Put food items in sealed containers so rodents cannot chew or gnaw through packaging to access food.
- Clean your pantry to get rid of crumbs to remove the temptation of food.
- Clean up clutter and debris outside of your home to eliminate areas for rodents to reside.
- Trim branches and shrubs that may be touching your house to prevent rodents from using them to climb on.
How to Get Rid of Rodents
Once you have noticed the signs of rodents in your home, it is important to get rid of them as soon as possible. Ridding your home of mice and rodents can feel daunting but luckily there are some helpful ways to get the job done.
Methods of getting rid of rodents in your home include:
- Essential oils such as peppermint oil.
- Bait stations.
- Mouse traps.
- Contact a professional rodent control company.
Call Professional Rodent Exterminators
Rodents are not only a nuisance but can also spread diseases and cause damage to your home. Mice and rats can be difficult to get rid of on your own, so working with a professional rodent exterminator is the best way to ensure that they are eliminated from your home.
Greenleaf has been in the pest control business since 2003, and we understand rodent extermination like no other! We offer comprehensive and effective services and work diligently to keep you and your family safe from the diseases rodents can spread and the damage they can do to your home.